I'm trying to find a decent Canadian VPS provider that I can use for some of my customers.
Yes - I know that having your data in Canada is not really any safer than having it hosted in the USA, but I can't fully convince some of my client's legal departments.
1. The ability to start up additional instances without calling somebody or filling out a form so that they will "get back to me". Ideally there would be an api, iPhone app or web interface where I can do just that - just like I already do with Amazon Web Services and Rackspace Cloud.
2. Ubuntu LTS is required - CentOS or Windows only need not apply.
3. Onsite backups at reasonable prices. I will take care of offsite snapshots - likely in the USA as I can't find reasonable storage costs for 200+GB in Canada.
4. Reliability - I am not interested in the lowest price - I will pay more if the servers are stable.
5. No yearly contracts.
1. Ability to scale up those instances dynamically - just like I can currently do with Rackspace Cloud.
2. Multiple locations in Canada would be nice.
3. Would be awesome if they worked with Chef or had a knife plugin - but not a deal breaker - I can always just knife bootstrap them.
4. Pay by the hour resources - but will pay by the month / quarter if needed.
Is this too much to ask?
Anybody know of a company with Canadian server hardware that fits the bill?